Biharmonic equations with improved subcritical polynomial growth and subcritical exponential growth
© Pei and Zhang; licensee Springer. 2014
Received: 11 February 2014
Accepted: 17 June 2014
Published: 12 July 2014
The main purpose of this paper is to establish the existence of two nontrivial solutions and the existence of infinitely many solutions for a class of fourth-order elliptic equations with subcritical polynomial growth and subcritical exponential growth by using a suitable version of the mountain pass theorem and the symmetric mountain pass theorem.
Keywordsmountain pass theorem Adams-type inequality subcritical polynomial growth subcritical exponential growth
Thus, fourth-order problems with have been studied by many authors. In [], Lazer and McKenna pointed out that this type of nonlinearity furnishes a model to study traveling waves in suspension bridges. Since then, more general nonlinear fourth-order elliptic boundary value problems have been studied. For problem (2), Lazer and McKenna [] proved the existence of solutions when , and by the global bifurcation method. In [], Tarantello found a negative solution when by a degree argument. For problem (1) when , Micheletti and Pistoia [] proved that there exist two or three solutions for a more general nonlinearity g by the variational method. Xu and Zhang [] discussed the problem when f satisfies the local superlinearity and sublinearity. Zhang [] proved the existence of solutions for a more general nonlinearity under some weaker assumptions. Zhang and Li [] proved the existence of multiple nontrivial solutions by means of Morse theory and local linking. An and Liu [] and Liu and Wang [] also obtained the existence result for nontrivial solutions when f is asymptotically linear at positive infinity.
Let us now state our results. In this paper, we always assume that . The conditions imposed on are as follows:
(H1): for all , ;
(H2): uniformly for , where is a constant;
(H3): uniformly for ;
(H4): is nondecreasing in for any .
Letand assume that f has the improved subcritical polynomial growth on Ω (condition (SCPI)) and satisfies (H1)-(H4). If, then problem (1) has at least two nontrivial solutions.
Letand assume that f has the improved subcritical polynomial growth on Ω (condition (SCPI)), is odd in t and satisfies (H3) and (H4). If, then problem (1) has infinitely many nontrivial solutions.
(SCE): f has subcritical (exponential) growth on Ω, i.e., uniformly on for all .
Letand assume that f has the subcritical exponential growth on Ω (condition (SCE)) and satisfies (H1)-(H4). If, then problem (1) has at least two nontrivial solutions.
Letand assume that f has the subcritical exponential growth on Ω (condition (SCE)), is odd in t and satisfies (H3) and (H4). If, then problem (1) has infinitely many nontrivial solutions.
Preliminaries and auxiliary lemmas
We have the following version of the mountain pass theorem (see []).
There exist such that for all with .
There exist such that for all with .
This lemma is essentially due to []. We omit it here. □
Proofs of the main results
Proof of Theorem 1.1
Proof of Theorem 1.2
It follows from the assumptions that I is even. Obviously, and . By the proof of Theorem 1.1, we easily prove that satisfies condition (). Now, we can prove the theorem by using the symmetric mountain pass theorem in [–].
Proof of Theorem 1.3
Proof of Theorem 1.4
Combining the proof of Theorem 1.2 and Theorem 1.3, we easily prove it. □
This study was supported by the National NSF (Grant No. 11101319) of China and Planned Projects for Postdoctoral Research Funds of Jiangsu Province (Grant No. 1301038C).
- Lazer AC, McKenna PJ: Large amplitude periodic oscillation in suspension bridges: some new connections with nonlinear analysis. SIAM Rev. 1990, 32: 537-578. 10.1137/1032120MathSciNetView Article
- Lazer AC, McKenna PJ: Global bifurcation and a theorem of Tarantello. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 1994, 181: 648-655. 10.1006/jmaa.1994.1049MathSciNetView Article
- Tarantello G: A note on a semilinear elliptic problem. Differ. Integral Equ. 1992, 5: 561-566.MathSciNet
- Micheletti AM, Pistoia A: Multiplicity solutions for a fourth order semilinear elliptic problems. Nonlinear Anal. TMA 1998, 31: 895-908. 10.1016/S0362-546X(97)00446-XMathSciNetView Article
- Xu GX, Zhang JH: Existence results for some fourth-order nonlinear elliptic problems of local superlinearity and sublinearity. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 2003, 281: 633-640. 10.1016/S0022-247X(03)00170-7MathSciNetView Article
- Zhang JH: Existence results for some fourth-order nonlinear elliptic problems. Nonlinear Anal. TMA 2001, 45: 29-36. 10.1016/S0362-546X(99)00328-4View Article
- Zhang JH, Li SJ: Multiple nontrivial solutions for some fourth-order semilinear elliptic problems. Nonlinear Anal. TMA 2005, 60: 221-230. 10.1016/j.na.2004.07.047View Article
- An YK, Liu RY: Existence of nontrivial solutions of an asymptotically linear fourth-order elliptic equation. Nonlinear Anal. TMA 2008, 68: 3325-3331. 10.1016/j.na.2007.03.028MathSciNetView Article
- Liu Y, Wang ZP: Biharmonic equations with asymptotically linear nonlinearities. Acta Math. Sci. 2007, 27: 549-560. 10.1016/S0252-9602(07)60055-1View Article
- Lam N, Lu GZ: N -Laplacian equations in with subcritical and critical growth without the Ambrosetti-Rabinowitz condition. Adv. Nonlinear Stud. 2013, 13: 289-308.MathSciNet
- Liu ZL, Wang ZQ: On the Ambrosetti-Rabinowitz superlinear condition. Adv. Nonlinear Stud. 2004, 4: 563-574.MathSciNet
- Ruf B, Sani F:Sharp Adams-type inequalities in . Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 2013, 365: 645-670. 10.1090/S0002-9947-2012-05561-9MathSciNetView Article
- Costa DG, Miyagaki OH: Nontrivial solutions for perturbations of the p -Laplacian on unbounded domains. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 1995, 193: 737-755. 10.1006/jmaa.1995.1264MathSciNetView Article
- Zhou HS: Existence of asymptotically linear Dirichlet problem. Nonlinear Anal. TMA 2001, 44: 909-918. 10.1016/S0362-546X(99)00314-4View Article
- Ambrosetti A, Rabinowitz PH: Dual variational methods in critical point theory and applications. J. Funct. Anal. 1973, 14: 349-381. 10.1016/0022-1236(73)90051-7MathSciNetView Article
- Rabinowitz PH: Minimax Methods in Critical Point Theory with Applications to Differential Equations. Am. Math. Soc., Providence; 1986.
- Li GB, Zhou HS: Multiple solutions to p -Laplacian problems with asymptotic nonlinearity as at infinity. J. Lond. Math. Soc. 2002, 65: 123-138. 10.1112/S0024610701002708View Article
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.Open Access This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly credited.