- Research Article
- Open Access
Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions for Higher-Order Three-Point Boundary Value Problems
© M. Pei and S. K. Chang. 2009
- Received: 5 February 2009
- Accepted: 14 July 2009
- Published: 19 August 2009
We are concerned with the higher-order nonlinear three-point boundary value problems: with the three point boundary conditions ; where is continuous, are continuous, and are arbitrary given constants. The existence and uniqueness results are obtained by using the method of upper and lower solutions together with Leray-Schauder degree theory. We give two examples to demonstrate our result.
- Boundary Condition
- Continuous Function
- Unique Solution
- Ordinary Differential Equation
- Functional Equation
Higher-order boundary value problems were discussed in many papers in recent years; for instance, see [1–22] and references therein. However, most of all the boundary conditions in the above-mentioned references are for two-point boundary conditions [2–11, 14, 17–22], and three-point boundary conditions are rarely seen [1, 12, 13, 16, 18]. Furthermore works for nonlinear three point boundary conditions are quite rare in literatures.
In this section, we present some definitions and lemmas that are needed to our main results.
Lemma 2.3 (see ).
has only the trivial solution.
which is a contradiction. Hence BVP (2.6), (2.7) has only the trivial solution.
In the following, we will complete the proof in four steps.
There are three cases to consider.
are obtained by integration.
Now there are three cases to consider.
The existence of a solution for BVP (1.1), (1.2) satisfying (3.3) follows from Theorem 3.1.
which is a contradiction.
Next we give two examples to demonstrate the application of Theorem 3.2.
- Aftabizadeh AR, Gupta CP, Xu J-M: Existence and uniqueness theorems for three-point boundary value problems. SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis 1989, 20(3):716–726. 10.1137/0520049MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal RP: Boundary Value Problems for Higher Order Differential Equations. World Scientific, Teaneck, NJ, USA; 1986:xii+307.MATHView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal RP, Wong F-H: Existence of positive solutions for non-positive higher-order BVPs. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 1998, 88(1):3–14. 10.1016/S0377-0427(97)00211-2MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal RP, Grace SR, O'Regan D: Semipositone higher-order differential equations. Applied Mathematics Letters 2004, 17(2):201–207. 10.1016/S0893-9659(04)90033-XMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Cabada A: The method of lower and upper solutions for second, third, fourth, and higher order boundary value problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1994, 185(2):302–320. 10.1006/jmaa.1994.1250MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Cabada A, Grossinho MR, Minhós F: Extremal solutions for third-order nonlinear problems with upper and lower solutions in reversed order. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2005, 62(6):1109–1121. 10.1016/j.na.2005.04.023MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Du Z, Ge W, Lin X: Existence of solutions for a class of third-order nonlinear boundary value problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004, 294(1):104–112. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.02.001MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Feng Y, Liu S: Solvability of a third-order two-point boundary value problem. Applied Mathematics Letters 2005, 18(9):1034–1040. 10.1016/j.aml.2004.04.016MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Grossinho MR, Minhós FM: Existence result for some third order separated boundary value problems. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2001, 47(4):2407–2418. 10.1016/S0362-546X(01)00364-9MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Grossinho MR, Minhós FM: Upper and lower solutions for higher order boundary value problems. Nonlinear Studies 2005, 12(2):165–176.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Grossinho MR, Minhós FM, Santos AI: Solvability of some third-order boundary value problems with asymmetric unbounded nonlinearities. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2005, 62(7):1235–1250. 10.1016/j.na.2005.04.029MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gupta CP, Lakshmikantham V: Existence and uniqueness theorems for a third-order three-point boundary value problem. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 1991, 16(11):949–957. 10.1016/0362-546X(91)90099-MMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Henderson J, Taunton RD: Solutions of boundary value problems by matching methods. Applicable Analysis 1993, 49(3–4):235–246. 10.1080/00036819308840175MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lin Y, Pei M: Positive solutions for two-point semipositone right focal eigenvalue problem. Boundary Value Problems 2007, 2007:-12.Google Scholar
- Moorti VRG, Garner JB: Existence-uniqueness theorems for three-point boundary value problems for nth-order nonlinear differential equations. Journal of Differential Equations 1978, 29(2):205–213. 10.1016/0022-0396(78)90120-1MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Murty KN, Rao YS: A theory for existence and uniqueness of solutions to three-point boundary value problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1992, 167(1):43–48. 10.1016/0022-247X(92)90232-3MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Pei M, Chang SK: Existence and uniqueness of solutions for third-order nonlinear boundary value problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007, 327(1):23–35. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2006.03.057MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Shi Y, Pei M: Two-point and three-point boundary value problems for nth-order nonlinear differential equations. Applicable Analysis 2006, 85(12):1421–1432. 10.1080/00036810601066061MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang L, Pei M: Existence and uniqueness for nonlinear third-order two-point boundary value problems. Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete & Impulsive Systems. Series A 2007, 14(3):321–332.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Wong F-H: An application of Schauder's fixed point theorem with respect to higher order BVPs. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1998, 126(8):2389–2397. 10.1090/S0002-9939-98-04709-1MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Yao Q, Feng Y: The existence of solution for a third-order two-point boundary value problem. Applied Mathematics Letters 2002, 15(2):227–232. 10.1016/S0893-9659(01)00122-7MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Zhao WL: Existence and uniqueness of solutions for third order nonlinear boundary value problems. The Tohoku Mathematical Journal 1992, 44(4):545–555. 10.2748/tmj/1178227249MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.