- Research Article
- Open Access
Solutions and Green's Functions for Boundary Value Problems of Second-Order Four-Point Functional Difference Equations
© The Author(s) Yang Shujie and Shi Bao. 2010
- Received: 23 April 2010
- Accepted: 11 July 2010
- Published: 28 July 2010
We consider the Green's functions and the existence of positive solutions for a second-order functional difference equation with four-point boundary conditions.
- Banach Space
- Laplacian Operator
- Point Theory
- Trivial Solution
- Classical Condition
from ordinary difference equations. Here this condition connects the history with the single . This is suggested by the well-posedness of BVP (1.9), since the function depends on the term (i.e., past values of ).
First we consider the nonexistence of positive solutions of (1.9). We have the following result.
Then (1.9) has no positive solution.
We always assume that
Motivated by Zhao , we have the following conclusions.
We need only to show the uniqueness.
In this section, we discuss the BVP (1.9).
Lemma 3.1 (see Guo et al. ).
Then we may transform our existence problem of positive solutions of BVP (3.1) into a fixed point problem of operator (3.13).
We assume that
We have the following main results.
Similar to the above proof, we can show that (1.9) has at least one positive solution. Consequently, (1.9) has at least one positive solution.
respectively. We have the following results.
which by combining with (4.21) completes the proof.
The authors would like to thank the editor and the reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions which helped to significantly improve the paper. This work is supported by Distinguished Expert Science Foundation of Naval Aeronautical and Astronautical University.
- Gai MJ, Shi B, Zhang DC: Boundary value problems for second-order singular functional differential equations. Chinese Annals of Mathematics 2001,23A(6):1-10.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Guo Y, Tian J: Two positive solutions for second-order quasilinear differential equation boundary value problems with sign changing nonlinearities. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2004,169(2):345-357. 10.1016/j.cam.2003.12.029MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Henderson J, Peterson A: Boundary value problems for functional difference equations. Applied Mathematics Letters 1996,9(3):57-61. 10.1016/0893-9659(96)00032-8MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yang SJ, Shi B, Gai MJ: Boundary value problems for functional differential systems. Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics 2005,36(12):685-705.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Deng X, Shi H: On boundary value problems for second order nonlinear functional difference equations. Acta Applicandae Mathematicae 2009,110(3):1277-1287.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ntouyas SK, Sficas YG, Tsamatos PCh: Boundary value problems for functional-differential equations. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1996,199(1):213-230. 10.1006/jmaa.1996.0137MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wong F-H:Existence of positive solutions for -Laplacian boundary value problems. Applied Mathematics Letters 1999,12(3):11-17. 10.1016/S0893-9659(98)00164-5MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Weng PX, Guo ZH:Existence of positive solutions to BVPs for a nonlinear functional difference equation with -Laplacian operator. Acta Mathematica Sinica 2006,49(1):187-194.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yang SJ, Shi B, Zhang DC:Existence of positive solutions for boundary value problems of nonlinear functional difference equation with -Laplacian operator. Boundary Value Problems 2007, 2007:-12.Google Scholar
- Zhao Z: Solutions and Green's functions for some linear second-order three-point boundary value problems. Computers and Mathematics with Applications 2008,56(1):104-113. 10.1016/j.camwa.2007.11.037MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Guo DJ, Sun JX, Liu ZL: Functional Methods of Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations. Shandong Science and Technology Press, Jinan, China; 1995.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.